virology, immunology, serology, ebola, antibodies
- M.D., Ph.D. 1988Columbia College, Columbia University; College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University.
- Replication competent retroviral vector
- filamentous phage display libraries
- immunoprospecting and human monoclonal antibodies
- lymphoma specific monoclonal immunoglobulins
- immunoglobulin profiling,
- combinatorial biology
- Isolation of human m onoclonal a ntibodies for viral therapy and prophylaxis and development of virus anti- virus therapies.
- Identification of predictors of effective humoral immunity in viral disease
- Humoral immune profiling in viral disease for diagnostics and prognostics
- Africa: Comprehensive viral surveillance strategies
- Africa: Ebolavirus Sudan Gulu
- identification of the effective humoral immune response and therapeutics development
Major expertise and techniques in the lab
- Human monoclonal antibody isolation and production
- Viral reverse genetic systems
- Development of novel serological techniques
- Advanced cell culture systems
Publications and funding summary / representative publications and grants
(2008) A human monoclonal autoantibody to breast cancer identifies the PDZ domain containing protein GIPC1 as a novel breast cancer-associated antigen. BMC Cancer 8: 248. 5. Yavelsky V, Rohkin S, Shako-Levi R, Tzikinovsky A, Amir T, Kohn H, Delgado B, Rabinovich A, Piura B, Chan G, Trakht I and Lobel L. (2008) Native Human Autoantibodies Targeting GIPC1 Identify Differential Expression in Malignant Tumors of the Breast and Ovary. BMC Cancer 8: 247 . Active Funding : Kamin , DTRA-USDA, NIBN
- Ariel Sobarzo , Allison Groseth , Olga Dolnik , Stephan Becker, Julius Julian Lutwama , Eddie Perelman, Victoria Yavelsky, Majidat Muhammad, John M. Dye, Robert S. Marks, and Leslie Lobel (2012). Profile and persistence of the virus-specific neutralizing humoral immune response in human survivors of Sudan ebolavirus Gulu . (Submitted JID)
- A . Sobarzo A, J. T. Paweska , S. Herrmann , T. Amir , R. S. Marks and L. Lobel (2007) Optical fiber immunosensor for the detection of IgG antibody to Rift Valley fever virus in humans. Journal of Virological Methods Dec;146(1-2):327-34 .
- Natalie Gavrilov-Yisum , Ekaterina Hahiashvili , Marina Tashker , Ohad Karnielli and Leslie Lobel (2008) In vitro enhancement of cell division, hybridoma formation and clonability in Nanoparticle-Doped Water. BMC Biotechnology Jan 14;8(1):3.
- Rudchenko S, Scanlan M, Kalantarov G, Yavelsky V, Levy C, Estabrook A, Old L, Chan G, Lobel L and Trakht
- Robert Marks– Development of advanced serological assays for viral hemorrhagic fever.
- Zvi Bentiwich – Factors affecting humoral immunity in Africa.
- Shosh Arad/Mahmoud Hulihel - Studies of Algal extracts on influenza virus replication.
- Eli Lewis-Persistence of Cell mediated immunity in survivors of ebolavirus hemorrhagic fever.
- Raz Jelinek -Virus membrane interactions.
Suggested multi-disciplinary research project / research focus topics
- Host virus interactions in immunity to disease
- Predictors of effective viral immunity
- Development of a advanced computer technologies for viral surveillance
Looking for expertise / project
- Serology and viral isolation and diagnostics.
- Epidemiology and computer science
- High throughput sequencing.